Wednesday 1 February 2012

TV Review: What I Watched Last Night: 01/02/12

With February Sweeps starting tomorrow in America (a concept I still can't really get my head around) there's been pretty much fuck all on TV this week. So I've watched some older stuff instead.


That '70s Show - "Streaking" (S01 E03) Fox (US) 6th September 1998
President Gerald Ford is visiting Point Place and the guys fancy some civil disobedience. After deciding that streaking (while wearing Richard Nixon masks) is the way to go, it ends up that only Foreman goes through with the deed when he sees his dad floundering over the saccharine pre-determined question he had been chosen to ask. Red then asks his own question after the commotion, and Foreman gets further into Donna's good books. It's amazing looking back at this show and seeing the sheer quality of the early episodes. And it's nice to know there's loads more to come as well.
****


Better Off Ted - "Pilot" (S01 E01) ABC (US) 18th March 2009
Better Off Ted only lasted 26 episodes over the course of 2 seasons, but on the strength of the pilot, it looks like I'll be enjoying watching all of them. Head of the research and development department at a large multinational company, Ted is a sharp suited, fast talking, doting single father. His character is the main focus of this first episode, although it also focuses on his seemingly soulless boss Veronica, the new girl - and probable love interest - Linda, bumbling scientists Phil and Lem, and his young daughter Rose. The pilot sees Ted struggle with doing the right thing while keeping the company happy, with Rose acting as his moral compass. It strikes me how many similarities there are in this pilot to the currently airing House of Lies (a similar lead character and an ensemble not a million miles apart, the breaking the fourth wall, the big business setting, the single dadness), but there will surely be enough differences in the upcoming episodes. A strong start, I look forward to seeing more.
*** 1/2


It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - "The Gang Gets Racist" (S01 E01) FX (US) 4th August 2005
I've been recommended to watch It's Always Sunny... for some time now. I tried it once before, but didn't really get it, but have decided to give it another go. And while I still don't think the pilot is great, I've now seen enough to sense that there is real potential in this show. "The Gang Gets Racist" introduces us to the titular gang, bar owners Mac, Dennis and Charlie, plus Dennis' twin sister Sweet Dee. After being accused of being racist, the guys hire Dee's black friend (who works in PR) to help fill their bar. After inadvertently turning the bar into the hottest gay hangout in town, they have mixed emotions. It takes a series of run ins - Dennis having a threesome with two gay guys (supposed to be a fake set up by Dee, but later revealed to probably be real), and Charlie looking like a twat, things go back to normal. I think what got me about the pilot, is it doesn't feel like a pilot at all. I do think I'll enjoy this show more once I've gotten to know the characters, so look forward to watching the next few episodes.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment