Saturday 5 November 2011

TV Review: Happy Endings - "Dave of the Dead"

Season 1 - Episode 8
E4 (UK)

"Dave of the Dead" is a strange episode of Happy Endings. Produced earlier than it was shown, it's clear that this episode was held back in the order to show stronger episodes first and get the viewers in. In no way is this a bad episode, it's just not as strong as the others in the season.

The plot is yet again split into three strands, as Dave quits his job to start a restaurant (with the most ridiculously convuluted menu in history). Brad is charged with keeping an eye on him and making sure he doesn't do anything stupid. Naturally Brad gets suckered in (and there's a genuinely nice moment when Alex returns her engagement ring to Dave) but in the end sense prevails - and Dave ends up with a fast food cart. It's a start.

Elsewhere, Penny has a new hipster boyfriend, which other than giving a funny scene when the gang are dressed like hipsters, offers very little, and Jane and Max design a series of increasingly ridiculous competitions to find out which one of them would survive a zombie apocalypse. Which is a very funny story.

It's excusable during a comedy's first season for a show to have sloppy episodes, especially when there are some funny moments. Having seen some reviews for the later part of the season, and into the second, I have no doubt that Happy Endings is going to go from strength to strength.

** 1/2

1 comment:

  1. This episode of Happy Endings sounds so weird but FUNNY! I haven't seen the show ever but I have heard my co-worker talk about it plenty of times. She was talking about this episode in particular yesterday and how she was laughing about the whole Penny thing. Man, I wish I knew what she was talking about. Since, I'm never really home I had to get DISH's TV everywhere Technology to be able to watch my shows LIVE on my phone. Happy Endings is going to be a new show that I'm going to check out when my shows aren’t on. I hope that it is great.

    ReplyDelete